GLUTEN FREE | VEGAN | REFINED SUGAR FREE
Spooky Spider Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cookies
Make some cute & spooky spider peanut butter & chocolate cookies for Halloween! If you need to switch out the peanut butter due to allergies, you could use almond or hazelnut butter instead.
Our version is gluten and dairy-free (naturally!) and also sweetened with coconut blossom sugar which we find feels much gentler on our systems than refined sugar.
For the Cookies:
200g coconut blossom sugar
140g peanut butter
100g vegan butter or coconut oil
1 flax egg - 1 tbsp ground flat mixed with 3 tbsp warm water
180g gluten-free self raising flour
For the Chocolates (made with ingredients, mould & recipe from our Chocolate Making Kit) :
90g cacao butter
60g Organic cacao powder.
For the Chocolate:
2. Grind the coconut sugar as fine as you like, (in a coffee grinder, nutribullet, food processor or hi-speed blender) the more you grind it the smoother your chocolate will be.
3. Then, gently melt the cacao butter/ coconut oil in a bowl over a steaming pan of water. Cacao butter melts at 34˚C, you will want to use the cacao butter when it has JUST melted. If it is too hot, the coconut sugar will sink to the bottom of your chocolate. Stir frequently to assist the melting process, & don’t keep it on the heat any longer than it takes to melt it
4. Add the powdered coconut sugar to the melted cacao butter, stirring well.
5. Mix in the cacao powder.
6. When fully mixed – and do not over mix – spoon mixture into your moulds.
For the Cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar, peanut butter, vegan butter and a flax egg. Stir in flour until a stiff cookie dough forms.
3. Roll dough into small balls and place on a lined baking sheet - giving them lots of room to spread during cooking.
4. Bake 8-10 minutes until the edges are brown. Use a the back of a teaspoon to make an indent in the middle of each cookie whilst still warm and gooey. Let cool on a cooling rack.
5. Once fully cooled, melt down some chocolate (we used raw chocolate buttons - perfectly for melting and baking!) and spoon some chocolate in the middle of the cookie. Stick your homemade raw chocolates into the indent you made earlier. Using the melted chocolate, draw some spooky spiders legs coming out of the chocolate body. We used sunflower seeds to give our spiders eyes!
6. Enjoy once hardened and cooled completely.