- 300ml almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150g vegan butter
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 275g gluten free flour
- 175g coconut blossom sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 bars of Raw Chocolate Company Peruvian 72% cacao
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 75g vegan butter room temperature
- 200g powdered icing sugar
- 2 bars of Peruvian 72% cacao
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ Gas mark 4. Lightly grease 2 x 20cm/8inch round baking pans.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk and set aside to thicken.
- In a pot over a medium heat, melt the butter and maple syrup, leave it aside to cool slightly.
- Mix all dry ingredients together: flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie.
- Pour the milk, melted chocolate and melted margarine mixture over the dry ingredients mixture and stir well until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the Dark Side chocolate in a bain-marie, make the icing, beat together all ingredients until smooth.
- When the cakes are completely cold, sandwich together with half of the icing and cut into bite size pieces.
- Spread the remaining icing over the top of the cakes.